Tuesday 4 January 2011

Timmy and the resolutions


Disappointly that title isn't the name of my new band. Or is it? No. No it isn't. If i ever have a band the name will more than likely be Badgercull (it's a long story).

Anyway. New Year and time for resolutions.

Over the years I've made some pretty ambitious resolutions for the year. That one about learning to fly (not in plane, just physically being able to fly) never worked out. And the one about inventing a machine to destroy Myleene Klass is still very much in the blueprint stage.

So this year here's a few I want to stick to. Perhaps you can try them too. Or perhaps not, what am i? Your mother?

Complain more when it's appropriate
When it comes to complaining, I'm awfully British. In a restaurant I can order a cheese toasted sandwich, they turn up with a lump of plutonium attached to a picture of Richard Littlejohn's backside with a side order of diesel flavoured paper clips...and when they ask "was everything ok with your meal?" I'll mumble something positive. Well no more. From now on I shall say when things are wrong. Conversely, that then means I can praise when things are right. Here's to a year of either discounted meals and apologies, or waiters piddling in my dessert.

Eat more fruit
Sounds tricky, until you realise that last year I ate the equivalent of 3 apples. I can surely do better than this? Ok, I don't like fruit and veg as much as sweets and curries (come on, I'm 35, I'm still young) so if I eat 4 apples I will have succeeded. And tictacs, they're fruit aren't they?

Tell people when they are being rude
Probably similar to my first one, but this is inspired by people who generally are rude and need to be told. Case in point, last year someone turned up late to an event I was at and apologised by saying "Oh, it's my son's carol concert/birthday/first vampire communion etc." They then proceeded to show half a dozen pictures of said event to me on a phone. I tried to be nice and showed some pics of our cats doing amusing things. The response to which was "I don't like cats." And in turn that led me to say "Yes, I don't like other people's children either - but I'm not rude enough to say it to their face." I must do more of this. I consequently look forward to being on the dole by March.

Stop calling people 'squire'
I do this quite a lot. In some cases, as a term of gentlemanly greeting - that's fine. But I also do it a lot when I forget someone's name. Honestly, it's a terrible habit and something I have to not do anymore. Please pull me up on it.

Finally write that book of short stories
Yes, there's a set of horror themed short stories in my head that might/might not involve the following - a set of haunted golf clubs, a dog that turns out to be a robot, the internet in your eyeball, a possessed polaroid photo and an express elevator to Croydon. Yes, some/all/none of that must be written.

I'll report back in a year on my progress. Until then, speak to you later squire.

Bugger.

No comments:

Post a Comment