Wednesday 4 November 2009

The call of nature

I'm not sure if I can bring myself to cover this topic. If you are of a nervous disposition, look away now. I'm not doing this for shock value or to be crude, I just really want to know the answer.

Still here? Right, don't say I didn't warn you.

If your phone rings when you are on the toilet, do you answer it? That's it really. I only ask because attending to the call of nature here at work is a little like being part of a switchboard team. You can hear texting going on, phones bleeping and every now and again a ringtone. That's then followed by those dreadful seconds where I hope, beyond hope, that I don't hear anyone answer.

To me, it's a no-no. You should turn your ringer off the minute you enter a convenience as it's just plain wrong in my eyes (and ears). I think it goes back to hearing the entire theme tune to The Avengers once boom out from a cubicle that still haunts me. I don't want to think of Patrick Macnee at a time like that.

I know we are all pressed for time, and making the most of every minute is crucial for so many of us, but come on - you can take a few minutes out for bodily functions. Aren't we a developed enough society to do that? And isn't that also what voicemail is for?

I just checked online and, according to a survey (for what ever that is worth) around 30% of Britons have said they do it. Thats around 1 in 3 people. Look round you now, because statistically it must be at least one of the people working with you. So the next time they disappear for five minutes, give them a ring and find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment