Friday 6 November 2009

Can I ask you a question? Erm. Technically you just have.

Mobile phones have amazing functionality. However, its most useful function is being able to use it to avoid people in the street or shopping centres pestering you.

All you do, when you spot a canvasser, just hold your phone up to your ear and pretend you are on the phone - it hasn't failed yet, they don't touch you. Better still, you can then pretend to have amazing conversations by making your statements as bizarre as possible

"What? Well tell Mr Sniddles that he'll have the diamonds by sunset"
"As I said before, I'm only prepared to do the deal if he releases the robot"
"No. The money must be in Belgian coins"

Well, it keeps me happy. And all thanks to my mobile, hurrah.

I've always had a love-hate relationship with canvassers.

It used to be charity collectors who used the line "Can I ask if you'd like to help orphans in Eastern Europe?". Quite hard to say "no" to that one, you look like a monster (especially if you say "no...mwah ha ha ha"). Or the gas supply switchers who use "Would you like to save money?". Again, you look foolish replying with a negative.

The new tactic is for someone to say "Excuse me, can I ask you a question?", which is surely a tortology as they've already asked me a question in doing that. They don't understand if you tell them that. One of them cried actually.

Still, it's worth complaining if you do get messed about.

I once got harrassed by a woman working for a credit card company. I had said "no thanks" quite politely twice and she wouldn't let it lie. When I passed her again she made some snide comment about me being too busy.

I complained to her company (Virgin), expecting nothing. I got a letter of acknowledgement in 2 days. A full apology, £30 of megastore vouchers and the information that "the individual has been removed from her role to undertake 2 days of retraining."

Maybe it is worth speaking to them after all then...

No comments:

Post a Comment