Wednesday 25 November 2009

North and South

I'm a shandy drinking Southerner, well - weak lager really, but I'm a pariah in my homeland for moving away.

Alright, I'm being dramatic, but I sometimes do feel a part of the wider world rather than having strong roots. I still see Bath like Barrrth, and on certain wurrds I sound a bit Westcountry. But living in Wolverhampton for 3 years means I say buus and I've taken to using the word chuck a lot from being in Yorkshire.

Bascially, I'm a mishmash of my experiences and geographical habitats. If I was found as a fossil I'd probably confuse the scientific community before being put in a drawer and left alone.

Right now, I'm up in Glasgow for a bit of work and the wind and rain is howling - yet people are walking around in tshirts. Seriously, you could hang coats on my nipples but these people are getting on with it. Fair play.

Having lived in the south, middle and north of England I can report the important sociological fact that 'people are all roughly the same'. Some things are different. I find Scottish people the friendliest. Midlands people the most socially active. And people in the Westcounty the oddest - must be the cider.

But overall there are nice people and nasty people everywhere. And if you're reading this, then I count you in the former.

Right, enough soppiness, I'm off to find a radiator and a duvet before it freezes and falls off.

No comments:

Post a Comment