Monday 9 November 2009

Would you like to bash my face in?

I love technology, you may have got that already. Whether it's smartphones, blu-ray players or anything funky like that - I'm up for it. I often wish my bellybutton was a USB port. Don't ask where I'd install the printer.

Anyway I was quite pleased to try out the last version of EA Games (sports software publishers)Gameface. It works with their Tiger Woods, FIFA and (best of all) Boxing games.

Basically you upload a picture of yourself to their server via your pc, then download it into the game. Give the XBOX 20 minutes to do some calcuations and it then creates a hairless 3d model of your own head. You then add hairstyle, tweak the 40 odd settings on the face (I didn't know my face had that many settings) and add a body underneath.

So I scanned in a picture and this is what it came up with:



Scared yet? Members of my family really don't like it - saying that, I'm not sure they like seeing the way I really look. My brother simply told me "make it go away". I think it gets quite a lot right. The eyes, the slightly crooked nose, even the acne pockmarks - all quite good. The skin tones, don't ask. I appear to have been drinking the blue stuff you put in toilet cisterns to turn my face that colour - whilst having neck shave burns that look like I used a the new Gillette Blunt Sausage & Chicken Wire Max razor.

Now, I know it's not real. But seeing the virtual me run out for Torquay United and score and run and leap and swear at the ref - sent a little shiver down my spine. Perhaps it's the face I was able to tweak my physique (you can't add man-boobs it seems) and skills (I don't run like C-3P0 with bowel issues anymore) that made me love the brand new me.

On the downside, after playing late one night and haveing few drinks I kept imagining a Tales of the Unexpected story in which the clone of me comes to life and I get stuck in the game instead.

And if you don't like me? Well, as the title of this post suggests, you can import my face into EAs new boxing game and literally beat your own face to a pulp, as it will simulate the damage of being in a heavyweight boxing contest.

My advice? Get your face scanned. Upload and learn to love the (un)real you.

No comments:

Post a Comment