Monday 9 November 2009

Queued up to the mince in the name of war

I've been in a few crowds in my time. I walked through trafalgar square about 5 mins before the poll tax riots. I lost my shoe at the first ever uk foo fighters gig. And I was in the forefront of the wall's Funny Feet shortage at Butlins in 1982. All unexpected. Not tonight. Tonight I'm behind 120 people in Asda. No, there isn't a special on Findus Crispy Pancakes, it's all about a computer game. A silly computer game. Tonight I'm queuing for the new Call of Duty game and it's utterly surreal.

Surrounded by youths and the types who should be out murdering or whatever people do at midnight these days. Queued so far back from the till that were past the till, all the way along the vegetable aisle and into the chilled fresh meat section. Mince to the left of me, sausage to the right, my very own hamburger hill.

And guess what? It's really quite fun. As more people pass me with incredulous expressions at the length of the queue and the odd late night shopper furious I'm blocking the view of the mince. Why am I bothering? It's only a game right? Yes. But you do silly things for love and Call of Duty is my mistress. The wife is tucked up in bed, the cats long since fed and asleep and me here.

It was never like this for Jet Set Willy.

No comments:

Post a Comment